33K views

My husband and I purchased the Nordic Track X9i incline trainer shortly before Christmas as a joint gift to ourselves.After reviewing Nordic Track's website, we ordered the machine and requested a delivery date of 1/10/13.

Shortly after arrival, approximately 2 weeks later, the incline started to malfunction. I would be on a workout with a 10 incline, and while the workout would start with a 10 incline, by the middle, the incline had decreased to a negative incline, even though the screen still showed it was at a 10 incline. This happened for 3 days straight before we contacted Nordic Track. Upon calling Nordic Track, my husband was told that this what the machine is "supposed to do." I don't know what incline machine is supposed to, on its own will, begin to decline even though the console states it still at a 10 incline.

Once again my husband called and was told by another individual that this was not what the machine was supposed to do and they would send us a wire harness in the mail for us to install ourselves. At this point, we have had the machine less than a month. We continued to use the machine, and about a week later, the wire harness arrived. When we took the panel off to install the wire harness, we realized that it would require 2 people to do, as the harness weaves throughout the entire machine.

As technology-challenged individuals, we did not feel installing the harness ourselves was a good idea as we may accidentally hit something else and the machine stop working all together. It took us another 5 calls and almost 2 weeks before we were able to get someone to schedule a service technician to come out to fix the machine. In the meantime, we continued to use the machine for the next week, when suddenly the belt altogether stopped working. The machine was now just sitting in our living room not working at all.

We called Nordic Track again, and the worker assured me that the problem with the belt would be fixed with the wire harness. I was told by someone at Nordic Track that we would be contacted in 3-5 business days by the repair man to schedule an appointment. After 6 business days, I contacted Nordic Track again and was offered the phone number to the repair man. When I called the repair man, he informed me that his shop was 2.5 hours south of my home and would be up near my location in about 7-10 days.

I explained to him my problem, and he told me the wire harness would not fix the issue. He said that he would order me a new part, and be up in my area to fix the machine in one week. On Monday of this week, I was called by the repair man, and told me that he could not order me the new part because Nordic Track would not authorize the purchase of another part until he came to install the wire harness first to see if it will fix the problem. The repair man told me he knew for sure the problem would not be fixed by the wire harness, but his hands were tied.

He came to install the wire harness, yet that of course, was not the problem. Now we have to wait 2-3 weeks for him to order a new part, and come back up to my house to install it. In April, the repairman arrived at our house to fix the belt issue. We used the machine a total of 10 more times before, once again, the belt has stopped working.

We contacted Nordic Track and we were again assured that someone would fix the belt ASAP (I am not holding my breath). We have owned the treadmill exactly 4 months, and have used it a total of 4 weeks (approximately 28 uses). This is not acceptable. I should NOT be having this problem with a less than 4 month old treadmill.

I would understand if I had owned this machine for 3 -5 years, but I did NOT pay $1,850 (and still financing the machine) for this piece of junk. Every time I contact Nordic Track for a full refund, I am either told they cannot hear me and their phone lines are not working (although I can hear the Nordic Track individual just fine) or I am hung up on by the Nordic Track personnel when he/she tells me that he/she is speaking to someone about my problem. This is extremely frustrating for someone who believed in Nordic Track and believed I was purchasing a good product backed up by an excellent warranty. Now I know this is all just a scam.

While I am still attempting to contact Nordic Track on a daily basis, it appears that I will not get a full refund. I have contacted both Sears and my credit card company for a full refund and I am told there is nothing they can do since I have owned the machine for 4 months.

Does anyone (I am begging) have any suggestions for how to either get my money back or a new machine??I am desperate!

Review about: Nordictrack Treadmill.

Monetary Loss: $2000.

Comments

Stop paying them. Thanks for this review bc I was about to purchase one

I have been going through the same thing!I used my elliptical maybe 15 times and we had a repair man out here 4 times.

Finally, 7 months later I was approved for a refund.

I have now been waiting 2 months for the refund and still haven't received it.Worst company ever!

Tks for review.I was about to order their incline trainer.

Not anymore.To many bad reviews.

After reading your review, I decided to use another brand rather than Nordic Track.

Thank you very much.

Thank you for the info. It's terrible that this happened to you, but you are helping many with your story. I was just about to order their top machine, but I am now really taking a step back.

NORDIC TRACK IS NOW MANDATING A NEARLY $500 MEMBERSHIP TO BUY THEIR INCLINE TREADMILL, WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT FROM THEM. WHAT TO PAY JILLIAN MICHAELS.

I also have an incline trainer which started malfunctioning shortly after we purchased the machine.I am training for a marathon and can't believe that my scheduled training sessions have come to a halt because of a very expensive machine malfunctioning so soon after purchase.

I could have purchased a very nice treadmill for half the money, but was sold by the incline option of the nordic tracks.We are still hassling to get parts or refund or whatever, but have a non functioning machine taking up space in our house.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States #1269908

You need to get yourself a lawyer contact the NordicTrack company and threaten them that you will get a lawyer to sue them then they will get you your full refund back....

Oakland, California, United States #1240896

Write to the district attorney office in your state and copy the CEO of Norditrack and Sears which can be found through Google search for full refund. Make sure both CEO knows that you are writing to the District Attorney

Thank you for saving me $2,000. I wanted the 40% incline, but not the headache. I'll get the standard treadmill and work harder

Small claims court

Could you file a small claim against Sears? Of course you would need to have the contact person with the service call listed as well as Sears/Nordictrack personnel name as a supervisor of the district from Sears and if possible name of the rep you have been calling in order to get all personnel in court at the same time.

Call a consumer protection lawyer.Most states carry statutes that allow attorney fees in addition to any recourse you are seeking.

The attorney should take your case for no money if the problem is clear and you have exhausted your remedies with the company.

The statute of limitations in most states would remain in place for between 3 to 6 years from the date the defect is discovered.Good Luck

I realize that I am responding to an old posting, but I feel that I have something to add so here goes.

I bought a X9i too and I don't like dealing with anyone's customer service.It is hit or miss.

I bought my X9i from Sears.

It was on sale just like it was on the Nordic Track site. The disadvantage of buying it from Sears is that I had to get it home on my own. I was ok with that. The big advantage is that Sears has a great return policy.

If the X9i would have a problem when I got it home, I could return or exchange it. It is a lot of work to move it (it's heavy) and I had to set it up. Sears offered delivery and setup at a reasonable price, but that changes my freedom to return it for any reason.

My first two X9i's had problems and Nordic Track offered to send someone out but that would take a week or two. Meanwhile the time that I had to return or exchange it at Sears would be clicking away.

I made up an excuse to get Nordic Track support off the phone, disassembled the X9i, and brought it back to Sears for exchange. Sears was great about the exchange. Unfortunately the second one had a bad console. Nordic track sent one out right away and I installed it myself.

That didn't solve the problem so I went back to Sears for another exchange. Sears was great about exchanging it a second time. The third X9i is working great and I really like it. It has been problem free.

I only wish that it had a video out connector so I could display the street view images on the large TV monitor that is right in front of my X9i.

My suggestion is to buy your Nordic Track through Sears.It removes almost all the risk.

Yes , box it up, put return to sender and demand full refund from your CC company (Amex I know wd comply) under the lemon law. When you buy something new and it has 3,issues , especially the same issue you are entitled to a full refund. Make sure and get the tracking and a signature return for your CC company , i would also turn them into the BBB , good luck

I have the exact same issue.I start on a flat deck and by the end of a simple 30 minute run I have to have the incline up to 15 just to have the deck flat still.

I have also gone through 3 drive motors and now am being told it is the incline motor.This treadmill is junk!

I would definitely get the BBB involved they would get in touch with NordicTrack get the refund for you .

Get the BBB (Better Business Bureau) involved

My x9i works fine. I've had it for almost 1 year and my friend had his for almost 6 years before it finally gave out. I don't know what everyone else is talking about it being a piece of s***.

Do not buy. Bought one on March of 2015 and have a loud squeak while on it. Have had repair people out on four occasions now, still not fixed